The Indigenous Studies minor consists of 18 credit hours. It provides you with knowledge essential to understand a broad variety of cultural, historical, political, religious and social issues affecting Indigenous peoples. This disciplinary knowledge can prepare you for graduate school or immediate employment in fields such as government and other public service, or the private sector.
You’ll take courses from our approved course list to create an individualized program of study. (No required classes!) Our affiliate faculty members teach in Anthropology, Environmental Studies, Film & Media Studies, Geography, Latin American & Caribbean Studies, Linguistics, Journalism, and more. Courses taken at Haskell Indian Nations University through the exchange program can count toward the minor, too.
The Indigenous Studies minor requires 18 hours of approved courses.
- 12 hours must be in courses numbered 300 or above, with a 2.0 GPA.
- 9 of the 12 hours must be taken at KU.
- We strongly recommend taking a course at Haskell Indian Nations University through the Haskell-KU Exchange Program.
- Transfer up to 9 hours (6 from 100- and 200-level and 3 from 300- and above) from another university, including Haskell.
- We’ll double-count one course from your major for the minor, if it’s on the approved course list.
- Courses not already on our course list (below) must be approved by the ISP Executive Committee prior to enrollment.
- Contact Brandy Ernzen (firstname.lastname@example.org; 785-864-6408) for course advising each semester.
Are you a KU student interested in learning more about Native American issues? Or, are you a Haskell student interested in taking a class at KU? Maybe you want a different perspective on current events or are looking for a different campus experience ...
KU undergraduate and Haskell students can take advantage of the Haskell/KU Exchange Program. This partnership represents a wonderful opportunity for you to take classes at the other campus while remaining a full-time student at your home campus. (No wrangling transcripts or financial aid!)
Courses taught at Haskell through the exchange program are listed as ISP 204 or ISP 304. These courses count toward the ISP minor.
To enroll, contact Melissa Peterson, KU's director of tribal relations, at email@example.com.